Wednesday, September 21, 2011

What is Convergence Culture?

CONVERGENCE [Coming Together]

What does convergence means? It simply means different media merging together and incorporating new personalized services.




Wireless internet or a software platform like Android is an example of technology convergence. It is a set of devices contains similar technology used in multiple devices.

Netflix, Pandora is an example of Media convergence. Media convergence is when content and information is melded into multiple devices or touch points. The content and interactions between (smartphone vs. big screen TV, etc.)  often responds appropriately to the context.

Examples of activity convergence are Email and Browsing the Internet. Activity convergence allows users to perform activity regardless of the device.

In the reading, Henry Jenkins defines convergence culture as the place where new and old media combining. Consumers are encouraged to seek information from multiple media sources and this has change in the way the media is used by an individual. Jenkins explains with the help of new technology we are able to connect to one another when convergence occurs. At the end of the reading Jenkins discusses how the media is used to create new worlds that the audience was not expecting and it is called Trans media storytelling which refers to convergence culture.

It's quite amazing how connected we are to media outlets throughout the day. We check our Facebook, twitter, email at least twice a day? The convergence culture is very prominent these days. Over the years we can see how amazingly the media has evolved and shifted.  I can’t believe I would be blogging online, passing up my assignments online for a university assessment. Times have definitely changed.

Henry Jenkins states that Convergence does not mean the new replacing the old, but  the new and old merges together and creates a new dimension. We can already see the indication of it now. The video below is an example of convergence.




Note:
I can’t imagine a life without my phone.  I am 24 hour glued to my phone. Every single thing I feel I am dependent on my phone for information. I realize wethere for information, leisure or entertainment I bank on on my phone. It is like my twin. These show how the media have advanced over the years. Those days’ phones are used only to call and send text message. Now it is used to browse, social networking, entertainment, plays games, seek information, map, Email, market share, calendar, camera navigation, latitude, news& weather, etc.

What does convergence mean to you?
 Please do let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. Hi, to me media convergence means multitask.

    I like the way media convergence, especially in education. Only book with words, it's killing me.
    Lecture with visual and sound is easily to be remember.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with the quote " Convergence does not mean the new replacing the old, but the new and old merges together and creates a new dimension" wholeheartedly. Like sir said, the dj spin disk is the reformation of the old song player (I can't remember the name). I think media will always grow from the old to suit the times of the new, and we must be more accepting of these changes. They are only beneficial to us in the long run, if not the short one. Afterall, isn't it said that "the only constant thing about life is change?" I believe it applies to media as well.

    Great post btw, Meg :)

    ReplyDelete